From the Assignments tab (1), click on Create New (2).
The Create Assignment page loads. It looks similar to this:
Let’s walk through the steps you should take to build an assignment for your students.
- Type or copy/paste a name for the assignment in the Assignment Name You can give your assignment a very generic name if you want to. However, as the school year progresses and more and more assignments appear in your dashboard, a specific title will make searching for assignments easier. TextbookHub recommends clear, informative titles that are rich with searchable key words.
- Decide whether you would like to send this assignment to certain individual students only, or if you would prefer to give the assignment to the whole course section/class.
- Using the pull-down menu, review the worktexts you can choose from to build your assignment.
- Determine the type of assignment you want to give to students: a graded assignment or a practice assignment. Graded assignments contribute to a student’s overall mark for the course. Practice assignments are not graded and do not figure into the calculations of the student’s final grade. Click or tap on the radio button associated with your selection.
- Determine whether or not you will accept late assignments. Click or tap on the radio button associated with your selection.
FYI, you can easily see which assignments are practice assignments from the Assignment Dashboard. Practice assignments are all marked with an orange label, like this:
- Scroll down the page so you can enter the assignment’s start time and date. If you click or tap in the Start Date field, the calendar widget pops up. Select a start date from the calendar, or simply type or copy/paste the date in YYYY-MM-DD format. Note that entering a start date is optional. If you do not add one, the default start date is the day you created the assignment.
If you wish, you can determine a start time for this assignment; just adjust the clock at the bottom of the calendar widget. If you do not set the time manually, the TBH portal will use the time of assignment creation as the default start time.
- Continue down the page to enter the assignment due time and date. If you click or tap in the Due Date field, the calendar widget pops up. Select a due date from the calendar, or simply type/copy/past the date in YYYY-MM-DD format. Note that you can determine a start time for this assignment; just adjust the clock at the bottom of the calendar widget. If you do not set the time manually, the TBH portal will use the current local time as the default.
8. Now you can define the details of the assignment. You will need to select
- The worktext
- The chapter(s)
- The page(s)
Tap or click on the Select Workbook pull-down menu, and you will see a list of the options. Click or tap on the worktext you want to select.
9. Tap or click on the Chapter pull-down menu, and you will see a list of chapters. Click or tap on the chapter(s) you want to select.
10. Next select the specific questions you want to include in the assignment.
PLEASE NOTE: Questions are selected by the page. Some pages might have only 1 or 2 questions. Others contain groups of questions. If there are 10 multiple-choice questions on page 16, all 10 questions on page 16 will be included in the assignment. At time of writing, there is no way to select just a few questions from a page.
11. Next, determine whether all students will see the questions you have selected in the same order, or if they will see the same questions, but shuffled into some other order.
12. Near the bottom of the screen, questions from the pages you selected will populate in the Question Bank Note that every question group has been flagged as an “auto” question or a “manual” one. “Auto” questions can be graded automatically by the TBH portal. “Manual” questions require human intervention. Learn more about how assignments are graded: Grade Assignments <hyperlink>
13. After you click or tap the + button next to a question, the question moves from the Question Bank field to the Selected Questions In the Selected Questions field, you can remove specific questions, delete all questions from this assignment, and change the order in which the questions are displayed.
14. When you are ready, click or tap the Publish Assignment button to create the assignment and send it to the students.
15. The TBH portal will take a moment to create the assignment. Note that this may take a minute or two when the TBH servers are very busy. Please be patient. When the assignment has been created and distributed to the students, the TBH portal will load the Assignments Dashboard. The new assignment you created will be first in the list under the In Progress heading.
Congratulations! You have just created your first assignment in the TextbookHub portal!
Please sign in to leave a comment.